As a Senior Product Designer for DISCO, you’ll design magical, intuitive digital tools that enhance the practice of law. You will discover and synthesize insights from legal professionals and other user audiences on key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers and engineers. You will also iteratively refine your designs based on usability testing and partner with engineering to ensure the right product, with all details, is built to specifications.
Designing a great user experience requires someone who is a good communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO, we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.
what you will do
- Work effectively within a cross-functional team (product management, domain, design, and engineering) to successfully deliver product functionality that meets user needs.
- Conduct research to understand user needs and usage environments.
- Facilitate workshops and design sprints.
- Quickly prototype ideas at different levels of fidelity and iteratively test them with representative users.
- Clearly communicate your designs and their underlying rationale to clients and other team members through artifacts including sitemaps, journey maps, storyboards, and usability testing reports.
- Collaborate with other designers and engineers to implement and maintain the DISCO design system.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to ensure the right product, with every detail, is built to design specifications.
Things you could work on
- Synthesize and simplify complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- A visualized human communication network calculated by AI.
- Define enterprise-wide analytics and dashboards that inform ongoing legal strategies and data management policies.
Who are you
- 7+ years of experience as a software product designer with a demonstrated track record of successfully generating a balanced mix of end-to-end design artifacts such as task analytics and user archetypes, site maps and workflow diagrams, mockups and design from low to high fidelity specifications, interactive prototypes and usability test reports.
- 5+ years of experience designing the software UI of enterprise-level B2B or B2C applications that support users performing complex technical tasks.
- 5+ years of experience as an embedded designer in cross-functional teams, successfully taking your early concepts through to marketed products.
- 2+ years of experience planning, conducting, or participating in generative and evaluative UX methods to uncover user needs, structure content, define workflows and use cases, and refine in ways iterative the prototypes. Representative activities include background inquiry, design sprints, semi-structured interviews, and scenario-based usability testing.
- Degree or certification in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, software engineering, or experimental or cognitive psychology; or have equivalent training in product design and user experience principles and methods.
- Owner of an online portfolio that represents your latest and greatest (non-confidential) work, including a sample product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
Even better if you…
- Have experience with Figma.
- Have experience in designing user interfaces for research.
- Work independently but collaboratively, be autonomous and proactively take charge of projects and tasks.
- Leverage established best practices where available, but can customize or invent new approaches as needed.
- Apply a structured, pragmatic and holistic approach to problem solving.
- Have a design superpower – illustration, animation, typography, statistical analysis, etc.
- Take advantage of meeting the users of your products to discover ideas and refine your designs.
- Demonstrate exceptional craftsmanship in your design deliverables
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal, visual and written communication skills.
Why Join DISCO’s Product Delivery Team
- We were the first to adopt a cloud-based platform which caused massive disruption in our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He earned a degree in computer science when he was 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School when he was 19. His unparalleled knowledge of fundamental legal issues and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core guides DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals, including product managers, product designers, and engineers, differ from each other by at least a factor of 10. We believe that product delivery professionals , including product managers, product designers and engineers, differ from each other by at least one factor factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%. We pay them well and also include equity, which means we pay them well, and with equity, everyone actually got a raise every day. Given our product-focused mindset, product professionals are truly the stars of the show. Given our product-driven mindset, product professionals are truly the stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and the square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery speed in dollars of revenue per line of code, versus single lines of code. We hire far more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to conduct a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we’ll make money when we ship products. We hire far more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure our engineers have unambiguous product intent when they build.
- As a general rule, we do not commit to external product delivery dates, as we believe this unnecessarily limits our creativity, both from a product and technology perspective.
- At DISCO, respect is not earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone with respect. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and innovative approach to product and design, you’ll find yourself learning and growing at a rate you probably haven’t. not known in your career. Since we only hire professionals who are passionate about their craft, you will truly enjoy building a great software product and getting the best “career shape” of your life.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organizational design where small, self-contained teams own part of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean, scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases, and technical concerns through a set of strategically focused overlay features.
- Finally, although we are an incredibly fast growing organization, as a rule we don’t work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacations, and continuous fun if you are passionate about your craft.
*We are not looking for a Colorado resident to fill this role, but we may consider an eligible candidate in exceptional circumstances if approved.
- Open, inclusive and fun environment
- Benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, plus 401(k)
- Competitive salary plus RSU
- Flexible PTO
- Opportunity to be part of a company that is revolutionizing the legal industry
- Growth opportunities across the business
DISCO provides an AI-powered, cloud-native legal solution that simplifies e-discovery, legal document review, and case management for businesses, law firms, legal service providers, and governments . Our integrated and scalable solution enables legal departments to easily collect, process and review enterprise data that is relevant or potentially relevant to legal matters.
Are you ready to help us fulfill our mission to use technology to strengthen the rule of law? Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, alumni status combatant or disability status.
Please note that DISCO has a mandatory COVID vaccination policy that requires all employees in the United States to be fully vaccinated, subject to applicable legal exemptions.
Read the full job description