Main objective of this position:
The North Carolina Zoo Society is seeking an organized, enthusiastic, and team-oriented individual to serve as the Project Manager for the development of a new educational app for the North Carolina Zoo. Working closely with the zoo’s education staff, this position will coordinate the development of all aspects of the app with multiple project partners, manage the $1 million grant budget, complete reports for the donor, will assist the zoo’s education staff in developing content for the app, assist in marketing the app to intended audiences, and assist with quality assurance testing and project evaluation. This is a three-year contract position, from the beginning of 2022 to December 2024.
The app, which will be designed to meet the specifications outlined in the grant proposal (available upon request), will focus on self-directed learning experiences designed specifically for school groups and underserved audiences not reached by programs and materials. existing education. These experiences will be offered through a unique digital platform (a free mobile application) allowing visitors to access one or more of the following during a visit to the zoo:
• STEM Career Quests – Role-playing activities that allow people of all ages to virtually embark on five different STEM careers here at the zoo.
• Virtual tour guides will bring the Zoo’s educational signage to life.
• Accessible Audio Tours – These tours will use audio description techniques designed for the blind and visually impaired, as well as interpretive programming techniques to create audio tours that will enhance the guest experience.
• K-12 STEM Education Activities – A unique STEM-focused activity designed for every grade level.
The person must be extremely comfortable with computers and mobile devices
Salary range: $45,000 to $50,000 depending on experience with benefits
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SKILLS/COMPETENCES:
• Demonstrated experience managing large-scale education or technology-focused projects.
• Demonstrated experience ensuring projects are delivered on time, within scope and budget.
• Demonstrated experience in managing internal and third party/vendor resources for flawless execution of multiple project elements.
• Manage changes to project scope, project schedule and project costs using appropriate verification techniques.
• Demonstrated experience in developing and monitoring budgets, including achieving budget targets and adjusting project constraints based on financial analysis.
• Experience developing detailed project plans to monitor and track progress using project management software (eg Trello, Slack).
• Experience working with diversity, equity, accessibility and inclusion initiatives.
• Experience working both independently and as part of a team to achieve project objectives.
• Proficiency in mobile devices (iOS and Android) and experience with client-side software testing.
• Experience with video conferencing equipment (eg still and digital video cameras, iPhones, iPads, microphones and video editing software).
• Demonstrated experience in creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation.
• Excellent client-facing and internal communication skills.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail and multi-tasking skills.
• Solid working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Proven ability to solve problems creatively.
• Familiarity with interpretive and informal education programs in zoos, aquariums and/or museums, video editing, augmented reality and gamification of learning is an advantage.
• Ability to perform duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Commerce, Education or related field. Three years of experience managing focused projects (educational or technology-focused projects preferred) or related experience.
• Experience in designing educational activities that meet standard NC curriculum objectives or similar educational standards.
• Experience with mobile application development is an asset.
• Bilingual in Spanish.
Working hours and conditions
• The position will be based in the offices of the NC Zoo/Zoo Society and generally work Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. Occasional weekend work will be required. A certain amount of remote working/teleworking may be considered.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, business, education or a related field and two years of experience in project management; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The Zoological Society of North Carolina:
The North Carolina Zoological Society generates support for the North Carolina Zoo and its missions in education, conservation, research, and recreation. Our goal is to ensure a safe and sustainable future for the Zoo and its programs. The Zoo Society is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Its members, donors and other supporters provide financial support for zoo and society programs that protect wildlife and the environment and provide places where people can strengthen their connection to the natural world.
The North Carolina Zoo exists for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of all North Carolina citizens and visitors. The zoo’s mission is to foster understanding and commitment to the conservation of the world’s wildlife and wild places through recognition of the interdependence of people and nature. The zoo displays, conserves, and protects representative examples of the natural beauty, plant and animal species, and ecological characteristics of the North American and African regions of the world through the presentation of exhibits of live animals from those regions.
How to register:
Please submit a CV, cover letter and three professional references.