The only known work by Ottoman architect Sinan in the Aegean region, the Muradiye Mosque in Manisa province has been reopened for worship after about a year of restoration.
The dome of the mosque has been restored and the old tiles are intact. The repair work began on March 16 by the General Directorate of Foundations. The mosque’s garden has also been given a makeover with the landscaping works carried out by the Municipality of Şehzadeler.
The 4th century old Muradiye Mosque and its complex are among the most important works in the city. The complex, which was built in the name of Sultan Murad III between 1583 and 1592, consists of a mosque, a madrassa, a hospice and stores. The madrassa was built according to the classic plan and form of the Ottoman madrassa.
The construction of the complex, the project of which belongs to architect Sinan, was started by architect Mahmut Ağa and completed by architect Mehmet Ağa upon his death. However, Sinan was unable to see the completed structure during his lifetime.
The ashlar “inverted-T” planned mosque, which is the most spectacular part of the complex, is known as one of the finest examples of classical Ottoman architecture. The mosque is covered with a large central dome in the middle, a vaulted roof system on the sides, and the mihrab (niche indicating the qibla) projecting to the south.
There are two minarets with a single balcony at the corners of the north facade. One enters the finely decorated interior through a portal inlaid with ivory, mother-of-pearl and tortoiseshell. The wall of the mihrab is covered with Iznik tiles and the marble pulpit is described as a very valuable work of art. There are glass decorations on the upper windows.