This is an opportunity to join a creative and growing team that supports on-campus, distance and blended learning. The incumbent will provide effective learning design and e-learning content development for the Center for Curriculum and Digital Innovation (CDI) at the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN). They will demonstrate relevant practical experience in higher/further education institutions and/or in digital education. The CDI aims to develop and deliver an IoPPN digital strategy, implement technology and digital support for our on-campus, blended and online education, and assist in the development of broader programs in online learning environments. online or virtual.
Working with general guidance and direction from more senior colleagues, the incumbent will be required to exercise initiative and judgment in approaching and resolving day-to-day issues. They will be supported by the Lead Learning Designer and will work collaboratively with other members of the CDI team and with academics while managing their own workload. They will help produce effective and engaging course content and design. The incumbent will contribute to the enhancement of staff and student experience and educational capacity building initiatives within the Faculty as appropriate. By applying learning design methodologies, user experience and interface theories, as well as digital and visual design principles, they will help design engaging, creative online and blended learning courses and content. , innovative and pedagogically sound. Knowledge of current web accessibility best practices, as well as multimedia proficiency are essential.
This position will be offered on a permanent contract. This is a full time position.
- Liaise with colleagues to understand and interpret project requirements in a timely and accurate manner
- Provide digital and visual/graphic design support through the creation of instruction templates, graphics, illustrations, guidelines and other necessary materials
- Produce multimedia content for digital learning environments, such as video, animation, audio, and interactive content using e-learning software, among others.
- Apply exceptional attention to detail in design and production
- Support digital and visual design and content development
- Build accurate storyboards (visuals) and prototypes for interactive content, animations and games
- Help select external resources to support overall content development.
- Efficiently and efficiently see a task through to completion, routing it as needed
- Support course design to ensure the student experience is positive, engaging and most importantly supports intended learning
- Manage own workload within timelines and timelines of project plans and especially during vacation periods
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in e-learning technologies and digital and visual design principles
- Contribute to the continued development of the distance learning pedagogy used by KCL by undertaking wide reading and contributing to the improvement of processes used for course design and development
- Work with learning technologists, media developers, producers and academics to produce and prototype innovative digital and blended learning solutions
- Assist in the introduction of new design initiatives, through workshops, ad-hoc consultations and collaborative project work with the team
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities reasonably expected within the scope and classification of the post.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Proven expertise in digital and visual design theories and principles
- Experience designing digital and print output, including designing presentations and documents
- Experience in learning design, user experience and web design
- Ability to design effective and engaging digital learning content and solutions (courses, learning content, etc.)
- Ability to create visual storyboards and wireframes
- Awareness of user experience theories and web accessibility principles
- Ability to visualize complex concepts, procedures and processes in an effective and engaging manner through the use of infographics, diagrams and illustrations
- Ability to create multimedia content (like simple animations, as well as simple video and audio editing)
- Experience in developing graphics for the user interface, including icons and banners
- An excellent eye for layout, composition and typography.
- High level written and oral communication skills
- High level ability to write and communicate high level course materials/designs in English
- High level working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud software products including Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.
- High level working knowledge of MS Office applications (excellent design skills using MS PowerPoint as a visual storyboard tool)
- Highly organized, eager to learn and self-motivated with a positive attitude
Previous experience highly desirable with the following or similar software:
- Virtual learning environment experience. ideally Moodle
- Audio/video editing software like Adobe Premiere and After Effects
- Mind mapping software (e.g. Mindjet; Mindomo)
- Online learning software such as Camtasia and Storyline
Please submit (the link to) a portfolio of relevant work examples at the time of application. Selection will be through portfolio assessment, an interview and a short design assignment. Applications without a portfolio demonstrating examples related to the essential criteria will not be considered.